Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Another Deer Affair...

Living in a metropolitan area of approximately 3.5 million people one would not expect to see much in the way of nature with the exception of the multitude of gray squirrels that are forever tormenting the dogs from their multiple rendezvous at our bird feeders. 
 
Once in a while a stray raccoon or two strides across the top of the 6 foot wooden fence that surrounds the backyard under the cover of the night.  I cringe whenever one (or all) of the dogs put up a stink when it's dark outside and beg to go out as I am so afraid they will get into it with a boar (male) raccoon traipsing across the fence.  So far...knock on wood...that hasn't happened but it's been close a time or two.
 
Occasionally one of the mallard ducks that love the pool next door will miss and fly into the backyard but soon exit usually with a dog hot on its tail.  I've even had a turkey hen and her babies land only to leave very quickly and minus a few tail feathers.
 
But I never expected to see what I did this morning as I stepped out onto the upper deck at the house.  Looking between the branches of the sugar maple tree into the neighbor's backyard there stood a doe.  Nothing really unusual about that as I see deer quite often but I have never in my 50+ years seen a doe nursing their fawn in the wild.  I hurriedly shooshed the dogs inside...ran downstairs and grabbed my Canon camera hoping that the doe hadn't gotten too nervous by our movements on the deck.
 
Much to my relief the doe hadn't moved a step and the fawn was butting at its mama impatiently wanting more milk.  This wasn't a newborn fawn but I would 'guesstimate' maybe a week old as s/he could easily walk under its mama's belly with ample space to spare.  It was an amazing sight just standing there watching the two as the fawn nursed and mama gave it a morning bath. 
 
I could have stood there all morning watching but sadly I had to be satisfied with what pictures I had taken, put the camera down and jump in the shower and be off to work.  But that was okay cause if I hadn't been working I probably would not have been up and at 'em that early and would have missed out on this.  Just brings a smile to my face thinking about it.  Anyways...
 
Until next time...wherever you are...have a great day!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment