Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Bit of 19th Century Architecture

I really am not sure where the last four days went but they flew by and here we were on our last day in Tasmania heading down to the waterfront for the Salamanca Market which was Australia's biggest and brightest outdoor market. There was so many different items for sale and I was tempted more than once to make a purchase.  I was keeping an eye out for a sausage roll but broke down and got something else.  I had fallen in 'love' with the sausage rolls of Australia.  They were sooo yummy...sausage inside of a pastry bread...yum!!  Now if only I could find those here in the U.S...trust me I've been looking but may be forced to find a recipe and make my own...maybe Natalie has a good recipe?!  Natalie...do you?!

After roaming up and down all the aisles at the market we headed back up the hill for the last time (I wasn't going to miss the uphill march that's for sure) we picked up our luggage and the rental car and headed out to Richmond where both the oldest bridge and the oldest Catholic church still in use were located.

We had passed by the sign for Richmond the day before on the way to the tour and Port Arthur but I hadn't paid all that much attention so I was looking forward to wandering the town.  Richmond is a small town that has more than 50 19th century buildings and a population of around 800.  It was quite amazing how they had retained so many of the older buildings...something that I find we haven't been so careful about in the U.S. and I fell in love with the 1800's architecture in both Victoria and Tasmania. 

Oldest bridge in Australia
We arrived in Richmond and Natalie drove us straight to the historic Richmond Bridge.  The sandstone arches have straddled the Coal River since its completion in 1825 by convicts.  Interestingly few significant changes have been made to this bridge through its 186 year history...truly an amazing example of bridge architecture and so very picturesque!!

St. John's Catholic Church
Not far from the bridge was St. John's Catholic Church which is the oldest Catholic church still in use in Australia built in 1837.  It has had three different spires with the last being placed in 1972.  It was very much like stepping back in time entering the church.  It had the simplistic lines similar to the country church I grew up in but was on a much smaller scale as you could have probably fit this church twice into mine.  The stained glass windows were absolutely amazing and it was just peaceful to sit inside for a while.  But I couldn't stay there forever...there was still more to see before we made our flight back to Melbourne that evening.

Until later...wherever you are have a great day!!

If you would like to see more pictures of the Oldest Bridge in Australia here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow

If you would like to see more pictures of St. John's Catholic Church here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow

On a personal note here...I lost a good friend today who had struggled with cancer for the last year.  I hope that you are now finally at peace Tom...I will miss your smile, your laugh and most of all your friendship.  Take care my friend... you shall be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment