Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2011

Off to Tasmania!!

Off to Tasmania!!
We were off to Tasmania!!  I was pretty excited and I think Natalie was too as it was someplace new for her.  I had wanted her to think of someplace she'd like to go instead of the same old places she'd been to umpteen times before and was seeing once again as my Tour Guide.  I had kind of thrown out New Zealand as an idea but Tasmania sounded great to me!  After all...who hasn't heard of the Tasmanian Devil and I was looking forward to seeing one of the critters!!

First sights of Tasmania
The flight wasn't very long at all and soon you were starting to see glimpses of Tasmania.  About the time we got up to cruising elevation we were starting our descent.  Tasmania is only about 150 miles (240 kilometers) south of the mainland separated by the Bass Strait. 

Tassie is about 6.5 times larger than Hawaii at 26,410 square miles (68,401 square kilometres) and has a population of approximately 500,000 of which around half of them live in and around the capitol city of Hobart in the southeast part of the island where we were flying into.  The island is 226 miles long (364 kilometres) from the northernmost to southernmost part and 190 miles (306 kilometres) from east to west which doesn't seem very big and that you'd be able to cover all of Tassie in five days.  However, something like 37% of the countryside lies in preserves, national parks and World Heritage Sites so getting from point A to point B isn't always the most direct route.

One fact that was going to become obvious to us (and very obvious to Natalie as she was driving) was that Tassie is right in the pathway of what is called the notorious "Roaring Forties" wind that encircles the globe which is found between the latitudes of 40 to 50 degrees.  I'll admit that until I looked up some particulars on Tassie I didn't know this fact until today but I sure could have told you it was windy there from time to time and was actually glad I wasn't driving.  I know I would have had problems remembering which side of the road to drive on and with the crosswinds maybe blowing me across to the wrong side of the road I don't think it would have been pretty.  Besides, I could tell Natalie enjoyed driving, especially in Tassie so I didn't want to take that away from her!!

John Deere tractor in a Tassie field
After a bit of a circuitous route in finding the car rental place we were off on our Tassie adventure and set out for Bicheno where we were staying the first night.  As we were heading across the Wielangta State Forest to connect up with Highway A3 (the East Coast Escape Touring Route) I had to chuckle as we passed someone out working in a field driving an all too familiar tractor...yup...John Deere.  These days I find myself chuckling (at least to myself) and smirking when I see a John Deere tractor cause mom's famous comment I heard many a time was "if it wasn't green it never got fixed on the farm!"  Poor dad!!  He did have such an affinity for those John Deere tractors...right down to the 'his' and 'hers' riding lawn mowers!!  Anyways...

Walking down to Kelvedon Beach
It didn't seem very long before we started to get glimpses of the Tasman Sea and with every twist and turn on the highway we were getting closer to driving almost along side it.  Natalie pulled in to Kelvedon Beach and we got out and walked down onto the beach and took in the beauty surrounding us...it was just gorgeous with the sun shining brightly and the wind blowing in your hair listening to the waves coming in against the shore.  Natalie even danced a step or two on the beach which I did catch with the camera but if I ever hope for an encore visit I shall resist including that picture!!

But we needed to keep going so once again we were off on our way to Bicheno to check in.  After arriving and unloading the car we again climbed back in and headed to Scamander.  For some reason I had had it in my mind that we were going to Scamander on the second day to visit Natalie's cousin Sheridan but it really didn't matter either way.  The drive seemed quick from Bicheno to Scamander and after a couple of phone calls Natalie had us heading to Sheridan's home.

Sheridan was great and had some friends visiting so there was much chatting, a bit of wine drinking (I was starting to kind of really like the wine part!) and before I knew it it was time to head back to Bicheno but not before I pulled my camera out for a few pictures (what a suprise!) and one of Sheridan's friends was kind enough to take a picture that included me which really is a rarity as I much prefer being behind the lens...must have been a weak moment after a 'few' glasses of wine?!

Spiky Bridge built
in 1843 by convicts.
 On our way back to Bicheno...or maybe it was on the way to Bicheno...I don't recall exactly when we stopped here but does it really matter?  I'll blame the wine for my memory loss!!  Anyways...we pulled in to take a look at Spiky Bridge. Tasmania has an amazing and sometimes horrifying history of convicts and there are many, many buildings, bridges, etc. that were built in the 1800's by them. 

Spiky Bridge was built in 1843 by convict labor with field stones without the use of mortar or cement and is still able to be used to this day.  The spikes supposedly were put into place to keep cattle from falling of the bridge but that is only a claim...who knows if it is true or not but it sure was an interesting looking bridge.

After arriving back in Bicheno we decided to treat ourselves to a wonderful dinner of fresh seafood caught that day at a nice restaurant on the beach.  I'm sorry but all the scrumptious seafood I had while in Australia has forever spoiled my taste buds for Red Lobster here...there is just no comparison...Red Lobster isn't even second best now. Anyways...

Until next time...wherever you are...have a great day!!

If you would like to see more pictures from Day 1 in Tasmania here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow

1 comment:

  1. liked driving in Tasmania... you have to be kidding, that place was windier than a fart festival!!!

    ReplyDelete