Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Miss Flora MacDonald & Elvis

Our stay in Ballarat seemed to pass in a blink of an eye as most days had since my arrival in Australia and we found ourselves heading back to Melbourne via a few side stops...that being Lavandula, Daylesford and Hepburn Springs.

Back in the 1850s both Italy and Switzerland were having tough times with bad weather causing crop failures and food shortages and also political and social unrest...then came the news of gold being found in California and Victoria...and the rest is history as we would say in the U.S. 

Lavandula barn
Lavandula is a Swiss Italian farm located just north of Daylesford first settled in the 1860s by Aquilino Tinetti.  He and his wife Maria Capriroli raised 13 children on this farm and for four generations the Tinetti family ran a dairy farm here.  Twenty or so years ago Carol White bought the property, restored the buildings in the Swiss Italian integrity and Lavandula was 'born'.

Walking up from the parking lot to the barn you can look out over part of the manicured grounds that resemble a European garden in all it's beauty.  As we came out from the barn we were gleefully greeted by none other than Flora MacDonald who was ready to accompany us as we strolled down to the gardens.

Some of the manicured gardens
at Lavandula
I imagine Flora greeted all of her visitors with the same gusto but I personally would like to think that we were being honored by her presence as we walked down the gently sloping hill to the gardens.  You see...Flora was the resident Cairn Terrier and I got a kick out of her having to 'show us around.'  She strolled throughout the gardens going in and out of the shrubbery until she found something that was far more interesting than us and headed off on her own leaving us to wander down by the pond where the resident geese were.

There wasn't much lavender left standing as it was already the start of autumn and you could see some red beginning to show in the leaves here and there on the trees and vines.  Even so it was peaceful to wander throughout the farm listening to the calm.  I could have spent the day there just because of the peace and quietness and would love to see Lavandula in the midst of summer or the high point of autumn and maybe some day I will but for now we had to continue on.

Stopping at Hepburn Springs is where I met Elvis.  No...not the 'King' but rather Elvis the schnoodle.  He was accompanying his mistress down to the springs where she said they came frequently so that he could get his fill of the favored mineral waters.  Quite like Flora MacDonald, Elvis had a great personality and I found myself starting to really miss Gertie my Jack Russell. 

We strolled along a couple of pathways before heading on to Daylesford where we walked up and down the main street wandering in and out of the many quaint little shops there and for a town of a little over 3,000 it was quite busy but it was also Australia's Labour Day weekend.  I don't think either of us was in a real shopping mood and after the quiet of Lavendula I was ready to move on and leave the crowds behind.  Ironically (which did not happen often on this trip) I was not in the mood to take photos so I've none to post of Daylesford.

On our way back to Melbourne we stopped to visit with Natalie's Uncle John and his family.  You knew it was going to be a fun visit when, as you are walking up to their house, we see her Uncle John blowing off the driveway and as he sees us he shuts the blower off and with great gestures yells at us to "piss off!" several times.  It seems we were a few hours earlier than they had expected.  Needless to say the afternoon was quite entertaining filled with much chat and a few drinks to boot!!  Too soon it was again time to say our goodbyes.

It was back to the Natalie's home now as most of our planned travels across Victoria were completed.  I was starting to get this little nagging feeling in the back of my mind now as reality was starting to sink in that I'd only a handful of days left of my great Australian adventure and I was not ready for it to come to an end but I needed to put those thoughts aside and enjoy what time I had left.

Until next time...wherever you are have a great day!!

If you would like to see more pictures of Lavandula here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:
Play slideshow
If you would like to see more pictures of the Lavandula geese here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow

A little note:  As I finish this blog today I realize it has been one month since I left Australia.  It doesn't seem like this could be real but time has a way of rushing by and looking out the window seeing the falling snow outside I am definitely ready for an encore visit...wonder if Natalie is?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment