Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 18, 2011

Out & About in Ballarat

Black swan & her cygnets
What to do after Sovereign Hill?  We found ourselves back to Lake Wendouree as I so wanted to get some pics of the black swans...bless Natalie's heart for putting up with me on this.  I nonchalantly walked up towards a black swan with three cygnets and thought I wasn't being aggressive but when she started to 'flare' her feathers to look bigger and I could hear this soft hissing coming from her I knew I was pressing my luck. 

Growing up one of my uncles had a gander that would chase you and I surely did not want to revisit one of those terrifying scenes cause I knew I could not run like the wind to get away...at least as kids we thought we were running like the wind.  So...I backed off as she herded her three babies to the safety of Lake Wendouree.  Even so I was able to get some pics of her and her babies...have to laugh over the feather stuck on the top of her bill lending her a comical look for an unhappy mother!!

As the Ballarat Botanical Gardens were across from Lake Wendouree we again found ourselves strolling through the gardens and also going through their little gift shop.  Sadly they were still setting up the Pavilion for the weekend show so we again could not go inside.

The Avenue of Honour
One of the things that stuck out to me as I was traveling was the war memorials to those who have served in the military for Australia in the different wars starting with World War I.  Ballarat was no different.  There is a 14 mile long tree lined Avenue of Honour with each tree representing an individual from the Ballarat area who has served and I am forever humbled at any war memorial in Australia or here and probably would be elsewhere too as I well remember the deep turmoil in this country during the Vietnam era.  I was just a kid then but I did not understand then nor can I now when anyone discredits one's service and sacrifices to their country (whatever country that might be) and am deeply moved by memorials...as it should be in my opinion as it is not my intent for this blog to become political by any means. 

Before we knew it the day was coming to an end and there is much more to see in and around Ballarat than what we got to but we weren't going to be able to see everything...that would take far longer than the month's time I had.  

Until next time...wherever you are have a great day!! 

If you would like to see more pictures of the Black Swans here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow
If you would like to see more pictures of the Avenue of Honour here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow
If you would like to see more pictures of Strolling around Ballarat here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow


A little side note here:  Rob...thanks for a pleasant chat today about your travels in Australia...funny what we find out when we just strike up a conversation with someone standing in line at the post office.  I am envious that you got to spend a year there...a month was way too short!!

1 comment:

  1. I am very disappointed not to read anything about the best, most awesome, fantastic view we saw during our journey around the town of Ballarat!!

    woooppps, did I saw awesome... I meant, pathetic, under-whelming, crap view ever!!!!!

    ReplyDelete