Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Driving Around Port Philip Bay

When I returned to Natalie's from the Fitzroy Gardens she informed me that her mum Helen had called and she and Bob would be picking me up at 10 a.m. the next morning.  What Natalie didn't tell me was what exactly we were going to be doing...I was in for a nice treat come the next morning!

Helen arrived right on time the next morning and there was little time for chit chat and we were off on what would turn out to be an all day driving trip.  When Helen asked me if I was ready for the day I said I thought so which brought a quick question from her...'did Natalie tell you what we were doing today?'  My response was all Natalie had said was that I was being picked up at 10 a.m. but nothing about what we were going to do.  Helen just chuckled and shook her head hearing my response.

What I soon found out was that we were going to drive completely around Port Philip Bay which is the largest bay in Victoria and one of the largest inland bays in all of Australia.  Well...almost completely around as you had to take the Sorrento/Queenscliff ferry and cross the bay.

Arthurs Seat
It was a lovely day, bright and sunny and not overly hot as we started out.  Our first stop was at Arthurs Seat which overlooked Port Philip.  Silly me...while we were there I did not think to take a picture of the oversized chair that represented Arthurs Seat...what was I thinking?!  Obviously I wasn't...

Waiting while his master fishes
from the pier.
As we wound our way back down from Arthurs Seat Bob found a spot along the bay where there was a picnic table and we stopped for lunch.  Helen had packed a picnic lunch for us and it was delightful sitting along the bay.  Before I knew it it was time to continue on our journey and we found ourselves at one of the marinas along the way.  It was nice to walk out onto the pier and people watch and enjoy the sights and sounds of the marina and I had to chuckle at the golden lab patiently waiting for his master to catch a fish...looked like it had been a ritual that had been done more than once.

Heading across the bay on the ferry.
We headed off to the marina where you can catch the Sorrento/Queenscliff ferry to cross Port Philip Bay.  Bob thought that we were too late for the 2 o'clock ferry but he had us right on time and before we knew it we had driven aboard the ferry and headed to the top to enjoy the 35-40 minute trip across the bay.  After my rough sea adventure in Tasmania I was glad to see that it would be smooth sailing across the bay and it seemed like no time had passed and the trip was over and off we were to see what else the day had in store.

Bob knew so much about this area that I was quite amazed... until I asked and he told me that this had been his backyard as a kid.  It warmed my heart that he would take me to places he ran around as a kid.  I gotta tell you...no tour could ever hold a candle to the personal touches I had been experiencing on my dream trip to Australia...it would be hard to put in words just how amazing it all had been thus far and the days now were waning to a handful.

We ended a wonderful day with fish and chips from a local takeout which we took to Natalie's and had a bit of wine and beer too...I was sure liking this one kind of Tasmanian beer...yum!!  A perfect ending to a damn good day!!

Until next time...wherever you are...have a great day!!

If you would like to see more pictures from the trip around Port Philip Bay here is a link to that photo album on Picasa:  Play slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment