Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 9, 2011

40 Years Later...

I was the youngest of three and the only girl born into a family that pretty much lived, breathed and dreamed sports...at least it seemed that way.  My big brothers were active in about every sport offered back in the '60s and I was right there standing in as the batter so one could practice pitching baseball to the other or strapping on their oversized football pads and hiking the ball so they could practice passing the football.  You name it, if one of my brothers played it, I at least tried it and suffered many a lump and bruise for my efforts...and usually came back for more!!

My brothers had set up a modified half court for basketball up the hay mow of the barn and every fall they would make sure the hay bales were strategically stacked so that there would be enough space for that basketball court.

As there was almost 8 & 9 years between me and my brothers we never competed against each other in basketball with the exception of playing many a game of horse up in that barn.  

In my earlier years I was relegated to sitting on the haybales watching they and their buddies play by the one light bulb that dimly lit the haymow.   From time to time I'd call out encouragement, advice or even a foul which usually resulted in the person I called the foul on scrambling up the hay bales to toss me into the loose hay in mock anger.  I think I tried to keep quiet so it would be a long time before one of them would realize what time it was and send me to go to bed much to my chagrine as I idolized those guys and hated to miss out on anything.

Years later...okay...many years later I still have a love for the game of basketball and can get talked into a game of horse from time to time but the game as I grew up knowing has evolved to almost being unrecongnizable with the amazing feats of athleticism by the women athletes on the court these days.

I couldn't have been prouder this past Saturday to stand with hundreds of other basketball fans of the WNBA as we welcomed home our Minnesota Lynx as the WNBA Champions after 13 years of struggling in the league and I doubt if I was the only one who had tears in their eyes as these amazing women athletes came down the escalator at the airport to the roar of "We're Number One!!' 

The fans parted like the Red Sea for the players but in amazement I watched as the players waded into the midst of them to give many hugs, high fives, pose for pictures and sign a multitude of autographs.  At one point I watched as a little girl who couldn't have been more than 5 years old tug at Taj McWilliams-Franklin's shirt trying to get her attention.  Taj didn't feel the tug so I shouted out her name and as she looked at me I pointed downwards.  She immediately bent down to see what the little girl wanted and obliged her by autographing her tshirt and gave her a big hug.  As Taj stood up she looked at me and gave me a high five almost as if she were saying 'thank you' for pointing out the little girl.

What awesome role models these women are...so unlike many of their male counterparts in the world of professional athletics.  Who knew back in the day that I would become part of a fan base for women's professional basketball and be standing there welcoming home the WNBA champions witnessing a bit of history...and because I and countless other girls wanted to play the game at the high school and college level we would see the game slowly but surely progress to the game it is today.  Only difference now is that I am old enough to recognize and appreciate history in the making.


Alexis Hornbuckle of the MN Lynx
with the WNBA Championship trophy.
I wonder just how many little girls went to bed Saturday night still wearing their tshirts with the autographs of their favorite players?  I'll bet you there were quite a few and years from now I hope the players still remember who they are and how much of an impact they make on their fans like they did Saturday as they slowly shuffled through the crowd of people...as the WNBA champions!!




Now...wherever you...until next time have...a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment