Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Legacy


I dislike this quoteToday is International Human Rights Day is celebrated around the world.  The date was chosen to honor the United Nations General Assembly's adoption and proclamation, on December 10, 1948, of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights - the first global enunciation of human rights.

A theme is chosen every year.  This year recognizes the work of human rights defenders worldwide who act to end discrimination.
What is a human rights defender?

“Human rights defender is a title each and every one of us can earn. It is not a role that requires a professional qualification. What it depends on is regard for our fellow human beings, an understanding that we are all entitled to the full range of human rights and a commitment to seeing that ideal become a reality.” Navi Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights

I must admit that I have never read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights until now and I encourage everyone to at least check out the United Nations website (http://www.un.org/) and broaden your horizons a bit.  The Declaration begins with a preamble consisting of seven paragraphs.  I am only going to include the first paragraph as this first paragraph by itself is a powerful statement. 

  • Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world

  • Such a powerful statement by itself as is the rest of the preamble and the Declaration.  Amazingly, as the 62nd year is celebrated today, there remain many struggles for even the simplist of human rights.

    The 60s and 70s when I grew up had some significant turbulent times for us as a nation.  There was the assassination of President Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy...all strong advocates for Civil Rights. 

    There was the Vietnam War that invaded nightly on the evening news where multitudes of atrocities were inflicted.  I can remember sitting at the kitchen table every night for supper and being glued to the endless news reports on the war in Vietnam and just being numb as I could not comprehend why any of this was happening. 

    Yes, we sat together as a family for most meals and the kitchen table, in many ways, was the heart of our family...our central gathering place for meals, discussions, homework, coffee and so forth.

    But growing up on a farm in southeastern North Dakota I was sheltered and quite removed from the turbulent times.  I cannot say I grew up in a predominately white area.  There was nothing predominate about it...that's just what it was.  Differences in ethnicity were defined by one's heritage...mine being predominately Norwegian.  And yet as secluded and sheltered my childhood was my parents instilled in me the virtues of being honest, play fair and to respect others first.  To treat others as you would want to be treated and a hand shake was worth as much weight as any signed agreement. 

    It has been many years since I sat at that chrome table in the old farmhouse where I grew up.  I have only my memories to bring me back to those times.  Not even the foundation of that house is in existence today but the foundation my parents instilled in me carries on and I strive to exemplify those to all I meet in my life in who I am and by my actions.  I really don't remember of taking a moment in time to thank mom and dad for the foundation they gave me but I try to honor their legacies in my everyday life.

    Thanks mom & dad for your humanity, your love and kindness...miss you lots.

    "The time is always right to do what is right."  Martin Luther King, Jr.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment