Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Please Pass The Lefse

Today is Anna's Day in Sweden.  It is a day that celebrates all people named Anna and marks the day to start the preparation of making lutefisk to be consumed on Christmas Eve.  Yes...lutefisk. 

The origin of lutefisk is unknown.   Somehow I am not surprised that no one would own up to being the inventor but growing up in a Norwegian community and being 1/2 Norwegian myself (dad was 100% Norskie) lutefisk in my mind came from Grandma's house or one of the many small local churches of the area that would have one of their popular fund raisers, the lutefisk dinner, during the holiday season.  I only remember mom making lutefisk for dad once and the house had an 'aroma' about it for days after which is probably why I only remember mom making it once. 

What really is lutefisk?  Well, it's typically dried white fish (or for Norwegians cod) that is first soaked in water for 5-6 days.  After this initial soaking the fish is soaked in a cold water and lye mixture for several days.  Yes...I said lye which made no sense to me growing up as that was the caustic laundry soap mom would use to get out the worst stains.  Never fear though...it is then soaked in plain water for another 4-6 days to make it edible.  At least lutefisk aficionados will tell you it is edible...I, myself, disagree with the 'experts.'

Why would anyone soak something you were supposed to eat in lye?  Still does not make sense to me and I have to admit I have not nor probably never will be a follower of the tradition of lutefisk.  But it was a tradition none the less and whenever I see an advertisement now during the holiday season for some church having a lutefisk/swedish meatball dinner I have to chuckle as it seems they decided that offering two main items would have a bigger draw.  I don't rush to these dinners...never have and probably never will but, rest assured, if I did it wouldn't be for the lutefisk.

Garrison Keillor in his book Lake Wobegon Days might say it best (from my perspective):

"Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot."

As for me...you can keep the lutefisk but pass the lefse my way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment