Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Montana Bound

It's a sunny, bright and COLD day outside at 8 degrees F.  Oh sure it could be colder but thankfully it isn't.  Can't help but think of what a shock it will be come February 19th stepping off the plane into the land of Oz...and heat.  Am I going to melt right on the tarmac? 

Years ago I flew down to Roanoke, Virginia to visit some friends and travel around a bit.  It had been a few years since I had last lived in Virginia and I really hadn't given the heat or the humidity a second thought.  That is, not until I stepped down onto the tarmac and felt as if I had just been slapped with a wet towel fresh out of a hot dryer.  Talk about a shocking and rude awakening that day and for the rest of the vacation.  Seems my body no longer had much tolerance to humidity and forgot to tell me.

But in the meantime I am going to turn my thoughts to Montana where I am heading on the 9th to spend a week or so with my oldest brother and his family.  Always love going out there...southeast Montana has a beauty all to itself and even after going out there for more than a few quick vacations since the 70s there always seems to be yet another site that I see that I never noticed before. 

I love the contrast of living in a metropolitan area of 3+ million and going to a town of less than 500 people.  Maybe a few months or a year goes by before I visit but it always feels like going home...a place where there are people who call you by name and have a hearty hug or handshake waiting for you...people who know some of your history or have helped you live it.  Yup...it may be a small dot on the map but they get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment