Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Easy Bake Oven

I had to chuckle to myself today when I was reading on FaceBook some of my friends' posts.  One friend said Santa Claus broke down and brought her daughter an Easy Bake Oven.  Such a rite of passage it seems for many little girls in this country as I too got one when I was young.  Oh the memories...oh the anxiety that little oven brought me. 

You see, back when I was a little girl there was no such thing as an Easy Bake cake mix proportionately sized for a young girl's attention span.  Noooo...if one was going to make Easy Bake cakes it became an afternoon project and then some.  That 25 watt (or maybe it was 75 watt) light bulb that provided the heat to bake your cakes in those miniature pans took forever and multiply that by the fact that the largest pan could fit in a little girl's opened hand with little difficulty and you had easily an afternoon project and then some.  Yes...you can only but imagine just how long it would take to bake all of that cake batter bit by every little bit in that 'easy bake' oven.  Forever!! And just when I had 3 or 4 of those little cakes baked and lined up neatly on the tiniest wire rack mom could find one or both of my worst nightmares would seem to appear out of nowhere in the form of one of my brothers who would dash in, grab as many little cakes as possible, stuff them quickly into their mouth as they ran upstairs to their bedroom or dashed back outside for safety laughing as I screamed in protest!!

It didn't take me all that long to tire of my Easy Bake oven with my brothers' harrassments and I graduated quickly to making cupcakes in the big oven.  The 'nightmares' still continued with less frequency but now I always had cupcakes left over after their dash and grabs and it didn't seem to matter as much to me.  Making a dozen cupcakes at a time in 20 minutes versus the hours it would have taken to make enough easy bake cakes to equal a dozen cupcakes seemed to take the fun out of torturing me.

I'm sure if you were to ask one of my brothers about 'torturing' me and stealing my cakes they would deny ever doing it or plain say they don't remember that.  Trust me...that's a standard line for any sibling and one I have even been guilty of using.  But in the scheme of life it really doesn't matter anymore as the memories bring a smile to mind.  I just hope, knowing that my friend's little girl has two brothers of her own that they don't repeat history.  If they do I'll probably never know but I hope that someday she too will have fond memories of her Easy Bake oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment