Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thoughts of Springtime

So far this month it has snowed 21 out of the 24 days and we are on track for setting some records for snow falls of 80+ inches which does pale in comparison to other regions in this country such as the cities surrounding the Great Lakes region that get astronomical lake effect snows in one fell swoop or many areas in the Rockie Mountains to name just a few.  Even areas in the deep South have experienced snowfalls that haven't been seen in generations if ever.

I remember my amazement cross country skiing in March of '88 during spring break on Rabbit Ear Pass above Steamboat Springs, Colorado where 80+ inches was the snow pack and didn't include the recent powder that had fallen over night that was knee deep on me. So 80+ inches here doesn't seem so much but for Minnesota that is a hefty amount and there have already been struggles of where to put all the snow and thoughts are already turning to springtime and what that may bring.

Even though it is just past the midpoint in January and springtime is two months away all this snow has prompted talk in my home area, the Red River Valley in eastern North Dakota, of yet another flood this spring that may surpass the record set in the spring of '09 and reach 42+ feet above flood stage.  Already they are in the midst of plans to start filling sand bags next month in preparation of flooding and should be well prepared for another springtime onslaught of frigid, melting waters.

All this talk of snows and floods find us in the Upper Midwest starting to yearn for springtime despite what may come and I too am anticipating the many photo opportunities I will have come February 19th when I step on to Aussie soil in the midst of their summer and amongst those ops all sorts of flowers in midsummer bloom.  Not sure just exactly where my love for shooting flowers came from...it certainly was not born from my allergies or maybe it was since a bouquet of flowers inside can be miserable at best and flower shops are definitely not frequented.  But let me out in a flower garden and I am in heaven.

I leave you today with an image of springtime with a favorite picture of mine I took while Mom was in the hospital of one of the bouquets of flowers reflected in her hospital room window.

Have a great day!!


Reflections



No comments:

Post a Comment