Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 11, 2011

How to Speak Strine??

Seven days!!  It's getting closer to reality and I am going to just stop trying to hide any of my excitement now as it's not working.  Never could hide my emotions well...my face always has given me away though I would like to think I've gotten better but years ago I was told I had a face of a thousand expressions.  Maybe that's why some of these damned wrinkles are coming in cockeyed?!  Oh well...

If I survive my first week in Oz* the second week will be the true test of my stamina!  Saturday we are again going into the city to tour the Shrine of Remembrance and the Royal Botanic Garden.  Definitely am going to be in heaven with all the photo ops of flowers!  On Sunday we will travel to Philip Island and am sooo looking forward to getting up close and personal with some of the native animals and, of course, we'll be there to see the penguin parade when the little ones come back from feeding all day in the ocean. 

Monday?!  What's this??  Nothing is scheduled on the itinerary!!  What the...??  Oh I see...we get a bit of rest Monday as bright and early Tuesday morning we head to the airport and fly over to Hobart, Tasmania for five days and four nights where we will drive up the east coast of Tasmania, over to Launceston and back down through the countryside to Hobart. Not so sure about the 'bright' part as I have never been that at 4 a.m.  Must speak to the Tour Guide** about these early morning departures!

Soooo much to see but somehow I did not realize that there would be such a language barrier as we both spoke English...boy, was I wrong!  The Tour Guide** read some of my posts last night...oy vey!!  I was 'delicately' informed that Oz* is far from correct in referring to Australia as they do NOT live in the 'Emerald City!'  Going forward I am to say 'Aus' though when you say Aus it is pronounced Oz* but is spelled Aus and I am not to make that mistake again in any further posts!! 

I am definitely going to have to learn 'how to speak strine' very quickly or at the very least get an understanding of what the h*** they are talking about.  Wonder if just smiling and nodding my head will be a good cover when I haven't a clue?!

I'll just have to secretly take notes to keep track of everything...I had best start going back through that dictionary the Tour Guide** sent me a while back on "How to Speak Australian" this afternoon...oops...I meant to say this 'arvo.'  Oh...so confusing!!!!!

Now...need to go work on that base tan!!



* For the purpose of this post Aus was incorrectly referred to as 'Oz' for clarification purposes only. 

** Tour Guide...aka Natalie

PS...hope those disclaimers satisfies the Tour Guide!!  LOL

1 comment: