Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 13, 2011

How to Speak Strine...Part II


I got to thinking how I really should reacquaint myself with Australian slang...I wasn't kidding about the Tour Guide having sent me an Aussie dictionary a while back and even highlighted a few of the more important words/phrases in the dictionary.  So I went on a mission to find the book...finally found it and dusted it off and started to thumb through "The New Dinkum Aussie Dictionary" by Crooked Mick of the Speewa...whoever that might be!  So here we go...

Under the letter A we have (almost sounds like I'm calling BINGO now):

Aerial pingpong:  Australia's home-devised football code, Australian Rules.  Incomprehensible to civilised races, it makes about as much sense as the equally dubious sport of water polo; aka: AFL
Ankle biter:  A form of rug rat.  A member of the human race, of indeterminate sex and colour, under two years of age.
ANZAC:  Acronym for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, the diggers of which performed heroic deeds for the British during World War I.
Arvo:  Afternoon, as in 'See youse Sat'd'y arvo'.  A common example of the Australian obsession with abbreviation.  'This afternoon' is 'sarvo'.
...and under the letter B we have:
BarrackTo encourage one's team from sidelines, not always in complimentary terms, eg: 'Get in there and fight, you bunch of bloody mongrels.  (The Tour Guide has informed me I now barrack for North Melbourne!)
Bastard:  Either a term of affection as in, 'good old bastard', a term of abuse as in, 'bloody bastard,' or a comment on the weather as in, 'bastartd of a day', meaning that it is either hot or cold.  The one meaning that the word does not cry in Australian usage is its officially defined one concerning the legitimacy of one's birth.
BlinderA stunning display of sporting prowess, as in 'He had a blinder and scored three goals.'  (But the Tour Guide wrote in parentheses that she had had a few or drank way too much-Blinders.  Somehow I have a feeling I might experience 'blinders' myself a time or whilst in Aus!!).
Buckley's:  In unpleasant situations this means that one has no chance whatsoever.  No-one knows for sure who the mythical Buckley was.  One story holds that he was a convict who escaped and lived with the Aborigines.  People in the colony though he had no chance of survival, hence 'Buckley's'.  Always used in the phrase, 'You've got two chances, mate, yours and Buckley's.'

...on to the letter C we have:

Cabbie:  A taxi or cab driver.  (Finally!!  A word that I understand without having to read the definition!!  LOL)
C'arn!:  'Come on'---used mainly by those who are barracking for their team or favourite individual in a sporting event.  As in 'C'arn the Swannies!' or 'C'arn the Bombers!'.  (or in the case of the Tour Guide...'C'arn the Roos!')
Chook:   The common name for a chicken or, alternatively, a derogatory term for an older woman---as in 'you silly old choock'.
Coathanger, The:   The Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Crawler:  Someone who is lower than a snake's belly.  A person who fawns upon a superior in the hope of obtaining present or future favours.

...and finally for today a few of the letter D:

Daggy:  The adjective relating to dag.  The word can also be used affectionately to describe someone who is deeply unfashionable, but who couldn't give a rat's arse about it.  (Gotta admit I probably will be called 'daggy' from time to time as I've just never been big on fashion but I am probably a huge favorite of the 'fashion police' for critiquing but who cares?!).
Digger:  Initially one who took part in the gold rushes in New South Wales and Victoria in the nineteenth century.  Now the term for an Australian foot soldier under the rank of corporal.
Dinkum:  Absolutely authentic, as in the expression, 'Fair dinkum mate, I wouldn't lie to you, now would I?'  The answer to this is of course, 'Yes'.  (I've a feeling I'll be hearing this term quite a bit, especially from the Tour Guide...she does like to have her fun and mess with a person's mind!...I'll probably regret having said that if the Tour Guide happens to read this!!)
*Down UnderAustralia---also known as Godzone, Oz, The Lucky Country, Striya  and The Sunburnt Country. (Attention Tour Guide!!!  I did not write this definition especially the word 'Oz' in reference to Australia...it is in the book you sent me!)
Dunny:   An outside lavatory or 'bog'.  (Why not just call it an outhouse like we do here in states?  Makes perfect sense to me!!)

*I hope the Tour Guide takes a good look at the definition for Down Under after giving me such a hard time over my previous usage of 'Oz' in past blogs instead of 'Aus'.  I feel a bit vindicated here seeing as how the definition and use of 'Oz' is in a book she actually sent me!!!  Woo hoo!!  At least that's what she'd be telling me so there!!  (I know I'll pay for that sassiness but can I help it if my cousin Bonnie N.'s attitude rubs off on me?!  I think that might just save me a time or two in the next month!!  Thanks Bonnie!!!!)
So this ends the 'How to Speak Strine' lesson for today...stayed tuned for Part III tomorrow!!

Now, wherever you are, have a great day!!

1 comment:

  1. there is still soo much to teach you...

    - We are going along the Great Ocean ROAD (not highway... sheesh)
    - we are going to BallarAt, not ballaret :)
    - Mary Poppins is at Her Majesty's Theatre..we don't even have a Queens Theatre (thank goodness),
    - and Bright was removed from the itinerary...

    and some updates re: the above

    "dinkum" I cannot remember anyone ever saying that... mind you, now that I have said that, you will hear it everywhere next week

    "dunny" all toilets (inside or out) are dunnies

    "digger" is all our service men/women

    and "strine" I have never ever heard of that terminology in my life.. we just use slang.

    and clearly the person, who referred to Australia, as Oz is a bloody idiot and must be punished and removed from Australia immediately!!!!

    ReplyDelete